Outdoor sport and clothing retailer Orvis, in partnership with First National Bank of Omaha’s First Bankcard, offers a Visa credit card you can use to collect points toward free Orvis merchandise. Our overview / review of the card is below:
The first thing to like about the Orvis credit card is that it is a Visa card, meaning you can use it at Orvis plus anywhere else Visa is accepted. We prefer credit cards that have greater acceptance vs. cards that are only accepted at a single retail chain, and this card meets that goal.
The Orvis credit card offers you rewards on each purchase:
- You get 3 points per dollar on Orvis purchases.
- You get 1 point per dollar on all other card purchases
Every time you reach 2500 points, you get a $25 Orvis gift card for a future Orvis purchase.
In addition, the card offers:
- One bonus $50 Orvis gift card IF you spend $1000 with the card in the first three months after opening your account.
- 20% off your first card purchase at Orvis.com, which can be used on the same day as you apply if you are instantly approved.
- Free shipping on all Orvis orders purchased with the card.
As far as the card’s interest rate goes, it’s a pretty lousy rate: 20.99%. If you ever carry a balance on your credit cards, pass this one by — you’d pay more in interest than you’ll earn in rewards.
There is no annual fee for the Orvis Visa.
Overall, the Orvis Visa is OK for maximizing rewards on your Orvis purchases, but it’s difficult to justify using it for any reason beyond that, because the 1% reward on all other purchases is not at all competitive in today’s market. We’d suggest only getting the card if you are a regular Orvis shopper, because you’d have to spend $834 on Orvis purchases to earn each $25 gift card (assuming you don’t use the card otherwise, which you shouldn’t).
If you’d like to apply online, you can find an application here.