Plus size women’s retailer Avenue, in partnership with Comenity Bank, offers a credit card that gives you the opportunity to earn discounts on future Avenue purchases. However, watch that interest rate! Our overview / review of the Avenue credit card is below:
The first thing to understand about the Avenue credit card is that it can only be used at Avenue — not at any other stores. We are not fans of credit cards tied to one retail chain; opening a new credit line for such limited usage can be bad for your credit score (especially in the short term), affecting your ability to qualify for credit & loans in the future.
Sometimes, though, if the rewards offered by a store credit card are great and/or you are a frequent shopper at that chain, it makes sense to go for it anyway. Let’s look at what the Avenue credit card offers you:
- 1 point per dollar charged to the card; you get a $10 rewards certificate/gift card for every 200 points accumulated.
- 20% off the first item you buy with the card
- A $10 certificate toward a future Avenue item
- Another $20 certificate when you reach “Elite” status, which happens if you’ve spent $400 with your card in the past year.
- A 40%-off or 50%-off coupon for your birthday (amount depending on regular or “elite” status)
Those rewards are OK, especially with the upfront discounts. Before you decide, though, there’s one more thing to consider: the card’s interest rate. If you carry any balance on your Avenue credit card, you will pay a rate of 26.99% interest on those balances. 26.99%!
You do not need to be paying over 25% extra to get a few discounts, so if you ever carry a balance on your credit cards, pass this one by.
On the other hand, if you always pay your credit cards off in full, you can apply for the Avenue credit card via this online application.