Credit Card Catalog estimates that the average limit on a credit card in the United States is $4687. If we include all the credit cards an average American carries, the average available credit per person on credit cards is $18,091.
Using breakdowns between types of customers based on a report by credit reporting agency Experian, we estimate per-card credit limits for consumers based on their credit history:
- Super-Prime (Credit score of 781-850): $12,067 limit per card
- Prime (661-780 credit score): $6609 limit per card
- Near Prime (601-660 credit score): $2883 per card
- Subprime (500-600 credit score): $1219 per card
- Deep Subprime (300-499 credit score): $656 per card
Based on Federal Reserve statistics, we estimate the average credit card debt per cardholder to be $5427.18.
Multiple sources tell us that credit utilization rates consistently hover around 30%. (In other words, across all credit cards, cardholders are using 30% of the credit available to them on their cards.) Using that as our standard, we then estimate that the average cardholder has overall available credit of $18,091, as mentioned above.
Experian recently reported that the average cardholder has 3.86 credit cards (which includes both bank credit cards and retail store credit cards). Dividing the average cardholder’s available credit ($18,091) by the average number of cards (3.86), we arrive at $4687 as the average credit limit per card on the market today.
- May 2018: $4687 per card, $18,091 per cardholder
- April 2018: $4706 per card, $18,188 per cardholder
- March 2018: $4704 per card, $18,158 per cardholder
- February 2018: $4698 per card, $18,133 per cardholder
- January 2018: $4676 per card, $18,051 per cardholder
- December 2017: $4634 per card, $17,886 per cardholder
- November 2017: $4610 per card, $17,795 per cardholder
- October 2017: $4585 per card, $17,697 per cardholder
- September 2017: $4564 per card, $17,615 per cardholder
- August, 2017: $4691 per card, $18,109 per cardholder
- July, 2017: $4680 per card, $18,065 per cardholder
- June, 2017: $4646 per card, $17,935 per cardholder
- May, 2017: $4600 per card, $17,756 per cardholder
- April, 2017: $4605 per card, $17,776 per cardholder
- March, 2017: $4583 per card, $17,691 per cardholder
Questions about these statistics? E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org