- Best Cash Back Credit Cards
- Travel Credit Cards
- Lowest Interest Credit Cards
- 0% Interest Introductory Offer Credit Cards
- Credit Cards with the Best Signup Bonuses
- Best 0% Balance Transfer Credit Cards
- Business Credit Cards
- Instant Approval Credit Cards
- Fair Credit Credit Cards
- Bad Credit Unsecured Credit Cards
- Store Credit Cards
- Ultimate Credit Card List
Key credit card statistics:
- Average credit card interest rate: 20.12%
- Average credit card debt… Per Person: $5449.73. Per Household: $8308.66.
- Average credit card limit… Per Card: $4704. Per Cardholder: $18,158.
- Average number of credit cards per person: 3.86*
- Credit card default rate: 3.44%**
- Total consumer debt: $3.84 trillion ($1.03 trillion credit card debt)
Everyone wants to know what the best credit card is, but nobody wants to hear the real answer: there is NO best credit card, only the best credit card for you. Consider:
- If you have a balance on your credit card, the best card for you is the one with the lowest interest rate.
- If you pay your full balance every month, the best credit card for you is a rewards credit card, BUT…
- The best rewards card for you depends on… you. Do you want airline miles, cash back or gift cards, points toward merchandise rewards, or some other rewards scheme?
Updated April 19, 2018 – There are 2 Northern Tool credit cards issued by different financial institutions, so be sure you know which card you have when reading the info below…
If you have the Northern Tool consumer credit card, it is issued by Wells Fargo, and you will interact with Wells Fargo when it comes to paying your bill online or by mail, or if you need customer service help. The information you need to complete any of these tasks is below:
- If you’d like to make your Northern Tool credit card payment online, log in at the Wells Fargo site and pay.
This month we calculate the average credit card debt per credit card holder in the United States to be $5449.73. The average credit card debt per household is $8308.66.
How did we arrive at these numbers?
Using data from the Federal Reserve, the U.S. Census, and various other sources, we note that revolving credit card debt was over $1 trillion in February ($1.0309 trillion to be exact). About 77% of the country’s 327+ million people are 18 or over, and about 75% of those people are credit card holders. The average household has 2.64 people.
Updated April 18, 2018 – There are 2 Blaze credit cards on the market, and though they come from the same company, they have different payment addresses and different customer service departments. Below you’ll find payment and contact information for each.
If you have the unsecured Blaze MasterCard:
- You can log in to your account here to make your payment.
Updated April 18, 2018 – TJ Maxx credit cards are issued by Synchrony Bank (formerly GE Capital Retail Bank), and in order to pay your TJ Maxx credit card bill online, or by mail, or by phone, or to talk to someone about your bill, you will need to go through Synchrony Bank. Here’s what to do:
- If you want to log in to your TJ Maxx account and pay your bill online, go here.
The current average credit card rate for the overall market is 20.12%, an all-time high in our survey (which began in April of 2014), and the first time the average rate has eclipsed 20%. Last month’s average calculated card rate was 19.97%.
Over the past several months we’ve seen major credit card companies raising rates to match the recent Federal Reserve rate hikes, but we’ve also seen general rate increases unrelated to these Fed hikes. (Most credit cards have a variable rate that moves up and down in line with Federal interest rates, but issuers can re-price their rate structures for new customers at any time.)
The current 20.12% average rate includes both bank credit cards and retail credit cards, and it reflects the average for new card applications, not the rates being paid by current customers on older cards. See below for further breakdowns of rate averages by category.
Comparing current rates to the past, the average credit card rate at this time last year was 19.24%, almost a full point lower than today’s average. Going back two years, the average rate in April of 2016 was 18.72%. In April of 2015 it was 18.05%.
Updated April 17, 2018 – If you have a credit card from Credit One Bank, here’s all the information you’ll need to access your account online, get your bill paid, or to reach a Credit One customer service representative by phone:
- You can log in and pay your bill online straight from the Credit One Bank home page.
Updated April 17, 2018 – Walmart credit cards are issued in partnership with Synchrony Bank (formerly GE Capital Retail Bank), and it is Synchrony you will interact with when it comes to paying your bill online or by mail, or to get customer service assistance.
Below is all the information you need to complete any of these tasks:
- To access your account and make a Walmart credit card payment online, you can log in here.
Updated April 16, 2018 – Below is the info you need to pay your Capital One credit card bill either online, by mail, or by phone, plus information on how to reach Capital One customer service for other assistance.
- If you want to pay your Capital One credit card bill online, log in here to make a payment.
Updated April 16, 2018 – The Overstock.com MasterCard offers you the ability to get a nice rebate on Overstock.com purchases as well as credit for purchases you make everywhere else MasterCard is accepted. Our overview / review of the card is below:
The Overstock credit card is a MasterCard — a point in its favor. Here at Credit Card Catalog we prefer credit cards that are accepted widely versus cards that can only be used at one retail chain. The Overstock.com card is accepted everywhere MasterCard is accepted.
Updated April 13, 2018 – Most Lowe’s credit cards (other than the Business Rewards American Express) are issued by Synchrony Bank, and it is Synchrony Bank you will interact with in order to pay your bill online or by mail, or to get customer service help. Below you’ll find the info you need to do any of these things:
- To log in to your Lowe’s credit card account online and make a payment, click here.
Updated April 13, 2018 – Synchrony Bank (formerly GE Capital Retail Bank) is the bank that is “really” behind many of the most popular retail credit cards out there. This means that if you have one of these cards, it is Synchrony Bank that is extending you credit and it is Synchrony you will be dealing with in the future, not the company whose name is on the front of the card. Synchrony Bank credit cards include: