- Best Cash Back Credit Cards
- Travel Credit Cards
- Lowest Interest Credit Cards
- 0% Interest Introductory Offer Credit Cards
- Credit Cards with the Best Signup Bonuses
- Best 0% Balance Transfer Credit Cards
- Business Credit Cards
- Instant Approval Credit Cards
- Fair Credit Credit Cards
- Bad Credit Unsecured Credit Cards
- Store Credit Cards
- Ultimate Credit Card List
Key credit card statistics:
- Average credit card interest rate: 19.97%
- Average credit card debt… Per Person: $5447.33. Per Household: $8305.01.
- Average credit card limit… Per Card: $4704. Per Cardholder: $18,158.
- Average number of credit cards per person: 3.86*
- Credit card default rate: 3.44%**
- Total consumer debt: $3.84 trillion ($1.03 trillion credit card debt)
Everyone wants to know what the best credit card is, but nobody wants to hear the real answer: there is NO best credit card, only the best credit card for you. Consider:
- If you have a balance on your credit card, the best card for you is the one with the lowest interest rate.
- If you pay your full balance every month, the best credit card for you is a rewards credit card, BUT…
- The best rewards card for you depends on… you. Do you want airline miles, cash back or gift cards, points toward merchandise rewards, or some other rewards scheme?
Updated March 20, 2018 – TJ Maxx credit cards are issued by Synchrony Bank (formerly GE Capital Retail Bank), and in order to pay your TJ Maxx credit card bill online, or by mail, or by phone, or to talk to someone about your bill, you will need to go through Synchrony Bank. Here’s what to do:
- If you want to log in to your TJ Maxx account and pay your bill online, go here.
Updated March 20, 2018 – Comenity Bank (formerly World Financial Network National Bank, or WFNNB) is the company behind many retail store credit cards. When you become a credit card customer of J.Crew, Victoria’s Secret, or one of their other partner retailers, you actually become a customer of Comenity Bank, because Comenity is actually issuing the card. Comenity Bank credit cards include:
Updated March 19, 2018 – If you have a credit card from Credit One Bank, here’s all the information you’ll need to access your account online, get your bill paid, or to reach a Credit One customer service representative by phone:
- You can log in and pay your bill online straight from the Credit One Bank home page.
Updated March 19, 2018 – Below is the info you need to pay your Capital One credit card bill either online, by mail, or by phone, plus information on how to reach Capital One customer service for other assistance.
- If you want to pay your Capital One credit card bill online, log in here to make a payment.
Updated March 16, 2018 – Walmart credit cards are issued in partnership with Synchrony Bank (formerly GE Capital Retail Bank), and it is Synchrony you will interact with when it comes to paying your bill online or by mail, or to get customer service assistance.
Below is all the information you need to complete any of these tasks:
- To access your account and make a Walmart credit card payment online, you can log in here.
Updated March 16, 2018 – The Bass Pro Shops credit card is issued in partnership with Bank of America, and you will interact with Bank of America when it comes to making a payment on your Bass Pro card online or by mail, or if you need customer service help. The information below will help you access all of these options:
- To pay your Bass Pro Shops credit card bill online via the Bank of America Web site, log in here to make a payment.
Comerica credit cards are issued in partnership with Elan Financial Services, and it is Elan you will interact with in order to pay your bill online, by mail, or by phone, or to get customer service assistance. Below you’ll find all the information you need to complete any of these tasks:
- If you want to pay your Comerica credit card bill online, log in to your account and make a payment.
Credit Card Catalog estimates that the average limit on a credit card in the United States is $4704. If we include all the credit cards an average American carries, the average available credit per person on credit cards is $18,158.
Using breakdowns between types of customers based on a report by credit reporting agency Experian in 2015, we estimate per-card credit limits for consumers based on their credit history:
- Super-Prime (Credit score of 781-850): $12,112 limit per card
- Prime (661-780 credit score): $6632 limit per card
- Near Prime (601-660 credit score): $2894 per card
- Subprime (500-600 credit score): $1224 per card
- Deep Subprime (300-499 credit score): $659 per card
Updated March 15, 2018 – Best Buy credit cards are offered in partnership with Citibank, so you will interact with Citi when it comes to making a payment online or by mail, or to reach customer service. Information on completing any of these tasks is below:
- To make your Best Buy credit card payment online, go here to log in and pay your bill.
Updated March 15, 2018 – The Sheetz credit card is issued in partnership with First Bankcard/First National Bank of Omaha, and it is First Bankcard that you will deal with when it comes to making your card payment online or by mail, or if you need customer service help. Information on completing any or all of these tasks is below:
- To pay your Sheetz credit card bill online, log in to your account here and make your payment.
The Starbucks Visa credit card is issued in partnership with Chase, and it is Chase you will interact with in order to pay your Starbucks credit card bill online, by mail, or by phone, or to get customer service assistance. Below you’ll find the information you need to accomplish any of these tasks:
- If you’d like to pay your Starbucks credit card bill online, log in to your account via the Chase website and make a payment.
This month we calculate the average credit card debt per credit card holder in the United States to be $5447.33. The average credit card debt per household is $8305.01.
How did we arrive at these numbers?
Using data from the Federal Reserve, the U.S. Census, and various other sources, we note that revolving credit card debt was over $1 trillion in January ($1.0298 trillion to be exact). About 77% of the country’s 327+ million people are 18 or over, and about 75% of those people are credit card holders. The average household has 2.64 people.